The end of June brought more activity in the Black Hills! Rapid Valley United Methodist Church held their garage sale fundraiser, Black Hills Farmers Market is in full swing, made a visit to Slim Buttes with the boy and the dog and the mister, attended the West Boulevard Festival, the Black Hills Military Advisory Coalition Chow Hall meeting, Elevate’s Critical Issues Luncheon on Housing Strategies for Economic Development, and the groundbreaking for Rapid City’s VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic. Prepared a little cioppino, ingredients courtesy of Dakota Seafood Company, roasted pork loin with garlic parmesan potatoes and green beans courtesy of Wall Meat, and tried to fit in a birthday party for a cat (consisting of two cat treats, one pat on the head, and saying, “Happy Birthday, Cat.”). I was honored to be featured in the Journal for a couple of leadership opportunities on the horizon, and otherwise, attended various other meetings (some online with my trusty under desk elliptical), and kept moving forward. Also, my daughter caught a fish. With her hand. And then also let it go. Ah, summer in So Dak! Speaking of catching a fish with your bare hands, have you ever heard of these amazing fishing laws? If true, pretty unbelievable.
1. In California, it is against the law to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
2. In Idaho, you may not fish from a camel’s back.
3. In Chicago, it is illegal to fish in your pajamas
4. In Muncie, Indiana it’s a crime to carry fishing tackle into a cemetery.
5. In Indiana and Kansas, no one may catch fish with their bare hands.
6. In Kentucky, it is illegal to fish with a bow and arrow.
7. In Louisiana, chasing fish in a city park is against the law.
8. In Montana, it is illegal for married women to go fishing alone on Sundays, and illegal for unmarried women to fish alone at all.
9. In Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Utah (none of which touch the ocean) it is illegal to go whale fishing.
10. In Ohio, it is illegal to get a fish drunk.
11. In Oklahoma, fish may not be contained in fishbowls while on a bus.
12. In Oregon, canned corn is not to be used as bait for fishing
13. In Pennsylvania, you may not catch a fish by any body part except the mouth.
14. In Pennsylvania, dynamite is not to be used to catch fish.
15. In Tennessee, it is illegal to use a lasso to catch a fish.
16. In New Jersey, it is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.
Fishing laws cited from the following site